1-877-888-MIPP (6477) hello@mipropertyportal.com

Solve Conflicts with your Tenant or Property Manager

Late rent payment

Learn about how you can make a complaint and how this article can help if a landlord or tenant breaks a rule under the Residential Tenancies Act.

The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 sets out property managers, landlords and tenants rights and obligations. It likewise sets out rules for property managers and tenants.

For instance: 

Tenants would submit an offense on the off chance that they prevented their property manager or landlords from entering the unit after the landlord gave them notice to enter 

The property manager would be committing an offense by stopping the water supply, heater or electricity in a unit 

On the off chance that you have a dispute with your property manager or tenants distinguished offenses, you can work with the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit to take care of the issue. They initially evaluate whether the issue is an offense under the act

File a complaint

Here’s what you need to do first:

The initial step is to tell your landlord or tenants about your concern. They suggest writing a letter or send an email with the goal that you can have records. 

You ought to likewise: 

  • keep a duplicate of your written requests and any responses 
  • note the amount of time it required for your landlord or tenant to address your concerns 
  • check the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 to check whether your concern is an offense 

The most effective method to file a complain 

In the event that you attempted to contact your property manager or tenants and still can’t solve the issue, you can call them at: 

  • 416-585-7214 
  • Toll Free: 1-888-772-9277 

You should give them the following: 

  • your name and contact data — remember that they don’t take unknown requests 
  • the name and contact data of the property manager or tenants you’re complaining about 
  • details of the complaints, for instance, the date and what occurred 
  • supporting documentation, for instance, a notice of entry or relevant messages 

What will happen after a complaint

On the off chance that the issue is an offence under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 they will: 

  • contact your property manager or tenant to attempt to resolve the issue with your consent 
  • send them a letter with insights concerning the complaint and options to fix the issue 
  • follow up to check whether the issue was settled 

In the event that the issue isn’t settled, they will begin a formal investigation. This may result in charges. 

In case charges are laid, the property manager or tenant should show up before a Justice of the Peace in the Ontario Court of Justice. You might need to go to court as a witness. 

Whenever convicted, the property manager or tenant will typically need to pay a fine. 

In case you’re convicted for an offencse under the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006, you might need to pay a fine up to: 

  • $50,000 for individuals 
  • $250,000 for corporations 


The Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing will make certain convictions and the data will be accessible to the public. The following convictions will be published: 

Corporate landlords 

  • each corporate conviction will be published 
  • people convicted alongside a corporation would not be named 

Repeat offenders

  • if convicted more than once of a similar offense, individual names would be posted 

The court announcement/bulletin will include: 

  • description of the offense 
  • the penalty 
  • the name of the offender 

The announcement will be circulated to the local community media. 

This process applies to new cases received by the Rental Housing Enforcement Unit on or after August 17, 2017.

About Author

Julie Camacho, a product specialist of Mi Property Portal, an 𝐀𝐥𝐥-𝐢𝐧-𝐎𝐧𝐞 software that will streamline your entire residential property management business. This software is built for small to mid-sized Canadian property management companies, individual landlords, and investors.
best free property management software